We can not deny that sunglasses play a vital role in everyday life. Besides preventing UV rays from entering the eye, sunglasses also are a stylish accessory to elevate overall appearance or express personality. Along with selecting the right pair to suit your face, lens features like polarized and mirrored lenses are necessary to consider when choosing sunglasses. Sometimes people get confused when comparing Polarized vs. mirrored lenses, and which lens is better?
Difference between polarized and mirrored lenses
Polarized and mirrored lenses are the same in protecting the eyes from solar radiation. But they are different in external appearance, one looks like regular shades, other looks the same as a colored mirror. They are also different in how to react to the sunlight, mirrored lenses tend to reflect the light away while polarized lenses block glare reflected off the smooth surfaces.
It depends on your preference and lifestyle, each type of lens has its advantages over another. Let go through this article to see what are the differences between polarized vs. mirrored lenses.
Sunlight becomes polarized when it hit hits a smooth surface like water, river, lake. The sunlight will transform into vertical and horizontal light waves. Polarized lenses get rid of horizontal light known as glare while allowing the vertical light to enter the eyes. Regarding UV protection, polarized lenses offer the same performance as mirrored lenses. By wearing polarized sunglasses, glass wearers will experience comfort, clear vision without eye fatigue.
Pros and cons of polarized lenses:
- The water environment is the place where glare is present the most. Glare causes the temporary loss of vision and discomfort and may lead to certain eye diseases. With the ability to cut glare, they become a preferred choice for water activities like fishing, boating, water sport, driving, beach sightseeing. The glass wearers will no longer suffer from distracting glare, eyestrain. On the contrary, they will experience comfort and clear vision.
- Unlike shiny appearance as mirrored lenses anybody can notice, polarized lenses appear like regular shades. To recognize sunglasses are polarized lenses or not, you need a method to test.
- Although anglers, boaters, drivers have a great benefit from wearing polarized lenses. However, there are some drawbacks to skiing and LCD machine operating. Polarized lenses also need special care since they can not withstand high temperatures. A chemical filter can get damaged by excessive heat, especially your glasses left in the parked car outside during summer.
Affordable wrap polarized sunglasses eliminate glare to bring a sharp vision for fishing.
Mirrored lenses have shiny surfaces like a small mirror to reflect the light away instead of absorbing it. They are unique, durable, futuristic, and covered by a thin metal coating. There are plenty of appealing colors available to make glasses become one of the hottest styles for modern men and women. Mirrored lenses don't block glare, but they cut more visible light from entering your eyes. Thus you feel comfortable when exposed to glare without eyestrain.
Pros and cons of mirrored lenses
- Like other styles, mirrored lenses offer full protection from solar radiation.
- Mirrored lenses permit less visible light from entering your eyes, so active athletes who exercise long hours in bright sunlight have great benefits from wearing them.
- Eye-catching reflecting lenses produce a visual effect to make an attractive look and provide a great way to add stunning colors to your outfits. Some rainbow-mirrored lenses can shift in color in every angle view to form an amazing illusion.
- Mirror lenses reflect the light away from your eyes that makes it impossible for eye contact. You can see out the person you are talking to whereas nobody can see through your eyes. Some people find it helpful for hiding their emotions from public view.
- Mirrored lenses may not be appropriate on overcast days since you need more light to view.
Are polarized lenses better than mirrored lenses?
By going through the pros and cons of both lenses, it's found that each type has its perks. Which type is the best suit for you? It all depends on your preference and lifestyle.
Anglers and boaters consider polarized lenses are an optimal choice since they help to eliminate the water glare. Hence enhance the fishing productivity. On the contrary, mirrored lenses are a preferred choice for fashion influencers and skiers, bikers because these lenses provide a futuristic and fashionable look. When it comes to eye protection, mirrored sunglasses offer better protection than polarized shades in harsh sunlight. When it comes to pricing, we notice there is no much difference between mirrored and polarized lenses. Thank to high technology and efficient manufacturing, these lenses are so popular and affordable these days.
What is pricing when comparing polarized vs. mirrored sunglasses?
If you choose luxurious sunglasses, the lens cost is a bit more than tinted shades when these options are added. Typically you pay more than 10-20%. When it comes to quality affordable sunglasses like our products, prices for mirrored or polarized options are almost the same as standard tinted sunglasses because of the efficient manufacturing process and no hidden cost.
Summary-Can I have both polarized and mirrored lenses?
Affordable polarized mirrored sunglasses offer both glare protection and an appealing look.
Deciding on choosing polarized or mirrored lenses is not always easy. It depends on your lifestyle and what kind of activities you get involved in. Both of them have the same benefits as full UV protection, reducing glare, increasing color contrast. Polarized lenses provide the best performance in the reflective environment while mirrored lenses offer better protection in excessive sunlight. If you are still confusing about mirrored vs. polarized sunglasses, choose them both. It's easy for you to search by browsing the polarized category and pick the ones with shiny lenses that appear like colored mirrors. Mirrored sunglasses combined with a chemical filter will be the best. Mirror polarized sunglasses not only offer an attractive look but also give you the best protection from distracting glare.
View more polarized vs. non-polarized sunglasses